PLACE AND YEAR OF BIRTH
Ogbeni Lanre Banjo was born in Sagamu, Ogun State of Nigeria in 1958
He is a Certified Public (Chattered) Accountant. (1986)
He obtained an MBA in Finance from Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. (1987)
He obtained Bachelor of Business Administration from the University of the District of Columbia, May 1984
He attended Methodist Secondary Commercial College (1977)
He attended Ijagba Primary School Sagamu (1969)
Director of International Mobilization and Coordination for the National Conscience Party (NCP).
Ogun State Gubernatorial Candidate on the platform of the National Conscience Party, April 2007 and 2003
Coordinated U.S. presidential campaign for Alhaji Lateef Jakande, first civilian governor of Lagos State (1994)
Treasurer and Political Strategist for campaign of the Honorable Charles J. Moreland (Democrat), First Elected U.S. Representatives on DC Statehood (1992)
Was a signer on the suit against the Federal Government of the United States to secure Statehood for the District of Columbia, U.S. Nation’s Capitol (1993)
Treasurer and Political Strategist for the Committee to elect the Honorable Councilmember Sandy Allen Ward 8, Washington, D.C. (1995-2007)
Assistant Treasurer, the Honorable Marion S. Barry, Mayor, Washington, D.C. (1991-1998)
- CONTROLLER, (ACCOUNTANT GENERAL) THE UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Responsible for the establishment of Internal Controls to deter corruption, financial malpractices etc.
- Provided independent leadership in the following:
- Planning, scheduling, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating the effectiveness of the University’s budget.
- Establishment and continuous improvement of an accurate and cost-effective system for the receipt, disbursement, control, monitoring and accounting for the University.
- General Accounting, payment of salaries, pension, and customer service.
- Exploring the higher educational system in the United Systems
- ACTED AS DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROCEDURES
- Provided oversight and guidance for policy and procedures manual operations for all the agencies (ministries) of the District of Columbia.
- Served as a resource to the District Government and operations on accounting policy and procedural issues
- Participated in the preparation of the government’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for 8 years. An annual operations of approximately $5 billion
- ACCOUNTANT, THE DISCTRICT OF COLUMBIA HOUSING AUTHORITY for 8 years
- Acquired knowledge in:
- Provision of public housing to citizens.
- How state and local governments work with the U.S. Government to provide various housing and security programs
- Acquired knowledge in:
- AUDITED SEVERAL LOCAL AND STATE U.S. GOVERNMNENTS THUS ACQUIRED SUFFICIENT KNOWLEDGE ABOUT VARIOUS ECONOMIC AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
Declined offer to serve the Nigerian government both at the state and federal levels twice because of lack of vision of the leadership of the various governments that invited him. Prima facie evidence that he abhors corruption and his mission in government is not solely about enriching himself.
Co-founder of the Nigerian Patriotic Association (NPA), which protested against the application of Joseph Wayas for asylum in the United States
Fought against the Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida administration for refusal to fund a Nigerian who invented a new telephone system.
Chaired the National Democratic Movement (NDM) in the United States, which seized the Nigerian Embassy in Washington, DC on August 12, 1993 to protest the annulment of the Nigerian presidential election of June 12, 1993.
Worked alongside Chief Anthony Enahoro, Chief Cornelius Adebayo, and General Akinrinade during the dark days of the late General Sani Abacha despot regime.
According to newspaper reports, his home in Maryland, U.S.A is a house notably among houses belonging to Nigerians in the United States, that hoists the Nigerian flag, and his car is specially tagged “OG R” symbolizing his unshaken love for his country and state.
Has a track record of associating himself with leaders who practice demonstration of their care for the poor masses.
- Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada.
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountant (AICPA)